Wednesday, March 28, 2018

The Stone Age Gap is Live!

It is with *tremendous* pleasure that I announce my story, THE STONE AGE GAP, is up and live over at the StarShip Sofa podcast(The story starts at 6:25.)

StarShipSofa is a wonderful podcast, the sci-fi branch of the District of Wonders, and I'm so honored to be part of their family!

As with many of my stories, this one is told in the context of a fictionalized version of my real-life family, The Perezes. 

This story is one of the only - if not *the* only - piece of true science fiction I've ever done, everything else I write being fantasy or horror. This piece was written in 2013 and inspired by two things: one, at that time the Juban Princeline was 5 and going through his robot phase. He told me he wanted to marry a robot when he grew up. I got to thinking about that and wondered if that will be the new prejudice for my generation as we age. (The daughter-in-law in the story is not an actual robot, by the way, just artificially "enhanced.") Back then I was also fighting a lot with the Princeling, and it broke my heart to think about what would happen in the future if we became so annoyed with each other that we barely spoke anymore.

The second inspiration is my hubby and how he's always talking about wanting to be uploaded to some digital consciousness before he dies. That sounds like my personal idea of Hell, but hubby is very serious about what happens to our mortality as technology speeds up and thinks that a global digital consciousness is the way of the future.

All of the story is about the perpetual feeling of falling behind as progress moves exponentially faster forward, and how we all cope with it both as individuals and as a society.

It's been one of my dreams as a writer for many years now to hear one of my stories be narrated. I think that K.G. Anderson does an amazing job here, and I'm eternally grateful to StarShipSofa for taking a chance on me. And, of course, I just love hearing my name pronounced in Tony C. Smith's Scottish accent!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment