Friday, October 12, 2012

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Since starting my query process to find an agent for "Bloodsisters" last week I've received five rejections.

But I don't let it bother me, and here's why.

Every "no" is one step closer to a "yes!"

OK, that's kind of cheesy. What I mean by that is, every agent that rejects me is not the agent for me. And that is fine. Not every agent needs to get excited about my query. The one that will, and the one that will love my full manuscript, is the one for me.

It's a lot like dating. I never dated much, because I was not one of these women who dated just for the sake of dating. My mother and friends told me I was too picky, but really I just didn't like wasting my time with someone who didn't blow me away right off the bat. I wasn't into the idea of searching for a "diamond in the rough," or "acquired tastes," or any of the other things all those relationship books told me I should do. I knew that when I met the right guy, I'd know it. I just would.

And I did!

When I met my husband I was immediately attracted to him. Things worked out for us fairly easily. The pieces all fell into place and here we are, ten years later, six years into our marriage and two kids. Over the years we developed a solid foundation of friendship based on trust, communication, humor and sex, which is how all these years later I still feel giddy as a schoolgirl when I see his number pop up on my phone or name show up in my email in-box.

So I'm not sweating the agent process, at least not yet. With every agent who turns me down I feel closer to "the one." I believe in my work. I knew going in that this wouldn't be easy, or quick. And, I know that my agent is out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment