Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Other Writers

Writing doesn't happen in a vacuum. 

Maybe some writers write alone; I have this romantic, and probably highly inaccurate, vision of Stephen King sitting all alone at an old-fashioned typewriter in a big room out in rural Maine, ala Jack Nicholson in "The Shining." Doesn't that just seem like how he writes? 

A few weeks ago I banged out a short story called "Thank You For Your Service." Happy with the results I sent it off to one of my critique partners, Tony. He sent it back with his usual good advice, but totally missed the point of the story. That wasn't his fault, it was mine. Thank goodness for Tony, because now I know how to make the story much clearer and get my point across better. 

Tony is still working on his website, but as soon as it's up and running I'll include the link here.

I'm currently critiquing my other partner's novel. Joy is a fantastic writer with a very clever story that's an inspired mix of fantasy and sci-fi. 

I've been lucky enough to work with Joy and Tony for the past two years, and I can honestly and sincerely say that my writing has improved leaps and bounds because of them. Not just from their critiques and advice, but from reading their work. I am genuinely surprised Tony isn't a famous published author yet - he's that good. And Joy is sure to take the entire genre world by storm once she hits the ground with her query letters.

I only hope they can say the same about me. 

Because of them I've been inspired to create a Writers Network page here on my blog. If you are a writer and would like to be added, please email me at the address on the left. We writers are lucky enough to live in an age where we can connect in a virtual world, help each other out, support one another, and goof around together when we procrastinate WHICH OF COURSE NEVER HAPPENS. Right?

Here's to us!


No comments:

Post a Comment